Saturday, December 12, 2009

Happy Hanukkah!!!!

Last night was the start of Hanukkah and I celebrated with making Latkes ( shredded potato pancakes mixed with onion, salt, pepper and a couple of other things ).
I'm not Jewish but I once lived in a Jewish neighbourhood and I hold the Jewish people in high esteem so this was my excuse to make such a wonderful recipe.
I had to search online for a vegan version of these and I picked one out of several. They came out great.



Very easy to make.
2lbs potato shredded
1 small onion shredded
1 tbsp egg replacer
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp sea salt ( i like salt )
2 tbsp flour

Mix it all up together and shallow fry in oil. Make sure that each side is very golden so that the middle is cooked thoroughly.

Latkes are traditionally eaten with applesauce but you could also use some vegan sour cream.

For some history on Hanukkah you can go here

3 comments:

The Voracious Vegan said...

GORGEOUS! I have been thinking about making latkes for a few weeks now and you've totally kicked my butt into gear. I am so drooling over those crispy tasty potato patties. Thanks for this recipe.

mysticxian said...

You're very welcom :D

Amey said...

Wow - that looks GOOD. wowie! I've never actually had a latke. Maybe I'll get around to it. I do love applesauce though, so I've got that base covered.

I'd love to send you one of my vegan cookbooklettes! Just send me your mailing address & I"ll pop it in the mail asap. ameyfm at yahoo dot com
:) Amey